Monday, April 21, 2008

Framed Embellishments!

I've already shared how I created the background for my 4 Season's Altered Children's Book but I wanted to go a bit more into the embellishments.

I wanted to tie all the seasons together by adding a few elements that were the same but different on each page. I did this by using the same alphabet stamps for each of the stamped seasonal names, by using a clock face somewhere on each page and by making Framed Seasonal Embellishments! That's what I want to show you in a bit more depth today.


Each season I used a dictionary definition for that particular season framed & covered in a coat of Glossy Accents. These "Framed Embellishments" are very easy to make and are a great compliment to any card, scrapbook lay-out, or altered item. I know what you're thinking...she always says these things are easy. Well they are! I promise, once you make one you won't be able to stop. They are most addictive ;)

A bit on Dictionaries....Now you're going to think I'm nuts but if you don't have a few old dictionaries laying around you should really start looking for some. You can find them at garage sales, 2nd hand stores or flea markets relatively cheap and the best part is condition doesn't matter. You will be tearing them apart page by page anyway...besides, usually the "well" used versions have quite a bit of character built right in.

Not only being a great buy they can add so much to any given project. Unless you've looked you would not believe the amazing variety of dictionaries out there! Available in various type fonts, font sizes, illustrations, etc. It's just amazing...be careful though ~ you can end up with several before you know it! ....Yes, I speak from experience ;) Doesn't stop me from looking for them everywhere I go though!

Frames??? I used mini frames from various manufactures on the "Framed Embellishments" in the 4 Seasons book. You may choose to do so but there are so many other items that will work for this technique as well. Just have a look in your supply stash and think outside the box. For example you could use any of the following.... Label holders, charm frames, bracelet blanks, O rings, washers (like the hardware type); buckles (with large cut-outs), etc. The list just goes on and on. All you basically need is something that has a open space in the center with a lip tall enough to hold the Accents.

On to the embellishments!

Supplies:

Old Dictionary
Accents - Ranger
Frame of some sort.
Scrap Paper
Glue Stick
Sharp Scissors


Instructions:

1. Rough cut your definition - basically just get yourself a piece of the page that is small enough to work with but large enough not to interfere with the definition you're interested in.

2. Attach the definition to the scrap paper using your glue stick. Dictionary pages are usually so thin that you will need to do this to keep the Accents from curling the page when it dries.

3. Position the frame over your definition as desired. NOTE: you normally don't need to use any adhesive when positioning your frame. The Accents will adhere the frame to the paper once it's applied. The only time you might want to glue your frame to the paper is if you're working with an especially small frame (like a charm frame or bracelet blank) because they can move easily and may slide off. Larger frames are usually heavy enough they don't move.

4. Fill the frame center with desired Accent. I used Glossy for each of the season names but I did use Crackle Accents for the Framed Flower. Let dry.

5. When completely dry trim away excess paper. Mount to your project as you would normally.

TOLD YOU IT WAS EASY :)
Here are close ups of all the Framed Embellishments
made in the 4 Seasons Book!
Spring





Summer

Framed Flower (summer)
Autumn

Winter
So, there you have it...Framed Embellishments!
Give 'em a try sometime, I'm sure you'll be thrilled with the results!!
Have a wonderful day everyone :)

3 comments:

  1. Love these! I have played around with this a bit, too. My latest thing is to add one drop of dye ink from a favorite color Ranger re-inker, mix it in gently (so I don't get bubbles) and then apply. That adds a nice, soft color to the Glossy Accents and my dictionary definition or image.

    Yup - just by knowing a few tricks like this, I'll never have to spend money on epoxy stickers or expensive embellishments again 'cause I can make them myself. And how cool is that?!? (smile)

    Thanks for another awesome technique, Roni!

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful. I love the look of text paper on stuff and I've been using newspapers for random backgrounds, but the idea of using dictionaries is great as you get to pick out the related 'word' to use. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. why did I not think of using glossy accents with a frame and definition paper?? I guess that's why I have you, Roni!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!