Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ink Blending Tool # 6 - Masking Made Easy!


Today we're going to continue with the Ink Blending Tool Top Ten Techniques and today's technique is Masking Made Easy!

This is such a fun, easy and versatile technique that you'll be able to whip out a card in no time...I promise :)

Supplies:

Ink Blending Tool & Foam - Ranger
Distress Inks (or your favorite dye inks) - Ranger
Cardstock or other item to ink.

Masks...

There are so many things out there that can be used for masks. From actual store bought, pre-made masks to things like stencils, stickers, acetate pieces, die cuts, Wallies, doilies, etc. The list just goes on and on. If it's got a definitive shape to it, you can use it for a mask!

If you are going to use stickers for your mask I would suggest that prior to placing the sticker on your surface you first press it onto a piece of fabric first. Your shirt, jeans, a towel, etc. Just something to take a bit of the sticky away to make removal a breeze.
Instructions:

1. You are going to begin by applying ink (Scattered Straw) to the Ink Blending Tool & Foam and randomly apply it to your panel.

You don't have to be exceptionally careful with this application...the majority of it is going to be covered up so neatness doesn't count here.

2. Apply your second foundation ink in the same fashion. (Dried Marigold) and in this case I used a third color (Worn Lipstick).


3. Once you are satisfied with the background colors you are ready to add your masks. For this example I used several of the Heidi Swapp Ghost Flowers. I secured them to my panel using a tiny dab of removable, repositionable adhesive.

4. Now it is time to apply your top coat of color. This color will need to be dark enough to cover your initial ink colors. For the example shown I used Dusty Concord. Simply apply the ink using the Ink Blending Tool as you would if the masks weren't there. Steady, circular motions. You will need to re-ink often as you want this coat to be fairly heavy to cover all the un-masked areas.

Continue inking until you have covered the entire panel. If you're not sure you have enough ink, gently peel up one corner of your mask to check for contrast. If it's not dark enough for you simply apply additional ink as desired.

5. It's time to remove the masks and check out your results!! The top coat really makes the initial inks pop!

Now, let's check out the finished product!! With a few additional stamps and some gemstones you've got a great little plaque to brighten someones day!


The Earth laughs...

Flourish - Fiskars; Sentiment - The Stamping Studio; Gemstones - unknown


And here are a couple more examples to inspire you....

Explore

Mask - Pine Tree Wallies; Pinecone stamps - Hero Arts; Sentiment - Fiskars; Eyelets, photo turns & brads - Making Memories; Cork & twine - Unknown



You & Me

Mask - Sticko Lock & Key; Flower Flourish - Inkadinkadoo; Sentiment - Fiskars; Stickles - Ranger




Another Ink Blending Tool down! I hope you're all enjoying these techniques and find the time to give them a try for yourself. Remember if you do, please feel free to share the link with everyone...we'd love to see what you come up with :)

Have a wonderful Hump Day!!



10 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful projects! I never thought to use the Heidi Swapp ghost flowers. Love that card. Thanks again for sharing such a great technique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! This is it - my favorite technique. I love masks, stencils, ghost shapes... you name it. I tend to use them with ink sprays like Ranger's Color Wash. Using the blending tool with Distress Inks is a great idea. Very cool!

    I am gonna work some of my ACTs tonight using this technique.

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that is the Masking. Nice technique full of colors and inspiration. Will gonna try it sometime. Thank you so much for the tutorals.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for another great use of the blending tool and inks. I am going to definately give this one a go

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! This gives my interpretation of masking a whole new meaning, and takes it to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Update - I did practice this technique last night and all of my examples turned out (for once) - how cool is that?!? I worked on a few ACTs for a swap, and I used this technique for the back of one. (So you'll even get to see it when I mail my ACTs to you, Roni!)

    I got a box of Crayola (if you can believe the brand) cardboard shapes on clearance and used the star and heart shapes for my masks. I picked colors, blended away and then just moved the same mask around my paper, blending with a darker color as I went until I ended up with an interesting, random design.

    Of all of the IBT techniques so far, this one turned out the best. But then again, the more I try, the more practice I am getting and the better my blending overall is looking. (Smooth not streaky.)

    Thanks, Roni. Just wanted to share some results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you guys like this one! It really does make you look at your supplies in a whole new light. We all have so many possible masks hiding in our stash if we just change our perspective a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phinny that's wonderful!!! I'm so glad you're feeling more comfortable with the tool and enjoying the techniques.

    When I originally designed this class I wanted a natural progression so that everyone would gain confidence as they became better acquainted with the tool and how it works. I'm glad it's working for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this looks like a technique I could actually try! Love the flower mask one....looks like when you emboss with clear embossing powder and ink over it. (forget what that's called!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so cool that Phinny was able to try this technique! I fully intend to go through all the techniques once I have my free time back! Oh yeah, and get the ink blending tool....LOL!
    My LSS had never heard of it, which is about par for the course.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!