Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Distress Pearls ATC's

I have decided that this week is ATC week - LOL!! I hadn't made many for a while and I really enjoy them so I figured might as well do em up right!

Shimmer is the name of the game lately in the crafting world and dearly as I would love to play with glimmer mist I just can't afford to pay 7.00 a bottle for one color.... SO, to satisfy my yearnings for the glitz I pulled out my Distress Re-Inkers, Perfect Pearls and brand spankin new Mini Misters :) While I've not done side by side comparisons (because I don't have any GM) I think the PP mix gives a great shimmer and colors I already love.

Supplies needed to make your own Distressed Pearls ATC's...

Distressed Pearls021


Distress Re-Inkers - Ranger

Perfect Pearls - Ranger

Mini Mister (filled about 3/4 full of water) - Ranger

Small Scoop

Non Stick Craft Mat - Ranger

ATC blanks

(not shown)

Desired Stamps

Inks

Embellishments

Instructions:

1. Fill your Mini Mister approx 3/4 full of water if you haven't already. Squeeze 1/2 to 1 full dropper full of Distress Ink into the Mini Mister.

Distressed Pearls023


2. Add a small scoop of Perfect Pearls to the Mini Mister container.

Distressed Pearls024


3. Give it a good shake to mix it all up! (Note - you should also shake it up each time you use it in case some of the PP settles on the bottom.)

Distressed Pearls025


4. Place your ATC, cardstock, etc on the Non-Stick Craft Mat and begin misting. Add as much or as little of the mixture as desired. You can also use multiple colors on your project.

Distressed Pearls002


5. Heat to speed drying if desired, otherwise set aside to dry naturally.

Here is what your card will look like....tilted at one angle you can see the Distress Ink colors...

Distressed Pearls004


Tilt it another angle and you get the amazing shimmer of the Perfect Pearls!

Distressed Pearls003


Now, once you've spritzed a few cards, you'll notice that there are lots of little dots of ink left from the over spray. DON'T wipe it off!!! It's perfect for another fun technique which I've heard called by many names ~ Wrinkle Free Distress; Mono Printing; etc.... All you have to do is mist the left over ink with a bit of water and dab or press your cardstock into the puddle of ink. I like to dab because it gives you a bit more control over where the ink goes. If you just smoosh the paper into the ink/water mixture it tends to blend it a bit much for my taste.

Distressed Pearls005


Heat to speed drying and you're left with this....

Distressed Pearls007


Cool huh? And you were just going to wipe the excess ink away!

Here are all of the cards I made using this same technique....

Distressed Pearls011


And the finished results...

London ATC

Supplies: all images Queen's Dresser Drawers; Distress & Archival Inks, Black Embossing Powder - Ranger; Sticker - Sticko

Distressed Pearls014


Evil ATC

Supplies: Tim Holtz ATC Stamp; Adirondack Embossing Powders & inks - Ranger

Distressed Pearls015


Romance ATC

Supplies: Weed Image - Stampers Anonymous; All other stamped images & Collage Image - Queen's Dresser Drawers; Archival Inks - Ranger

Distressed Pearls017


Tulips ATC

Supplies: Tulips - Darkroom Door; Adirondack Dye Inks - Ranger

Distressed Pearls020


So, while they aren't Glimmer Mists I think that Re-Inkers and Perfect Pearls do put on a great show! Give it a try and see for yourself...

10 comments:

  1. This recipe is good enough for Tim Holtz~it sure is good for me! You have great results with it, too, so why buy other products? Love your ATC's!
    Erin Glee : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have got to try this! I also find Glimmer Mist too pricey, but I have reinkers and Perfect Pearls, so this is actually within my reach! The ATC cards are awesome, and I especially like Evil!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tutorials are always great!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic tutorial and ATCs. I love thinking of new ways to use standard supplies. Why spend more money when you can do something even more fabulous with what you already have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lots of Glimmer Mists, but also make lots of my own using this method after I saw it on Tim Holtz's website - and I think the reinker/pearls version of the spray is just as good.

    In fact once my Glimmer Mists have run out (and they run out quick!) I am going to refill the bottles using my own version of each colour using distress/pearls to get as close to each original GM recipe as I can.

    Don't tell the Tattered Angels people :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that, Roni. I just bought some re-inkers so will give it a try. x
    Love your ATC's you created.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Everyone!! Glad you like the ATC's!

    Sarah ~ it's good to know they are comperable...I can stop having the Glimmer Mist "ache" now - LOL!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Roni, Ive bought Glimmer mists but wasnt sure how to use them, so im glad you showed us these. I dont know why but I always thought they were for spraying a fine coloured mist over a finished product, and i stupidly went out and bought loads of colours. I was then stuck with them as i wasnt sure what to do, however now that i have seen this i will be experimenting this weekend, Many Thanks, Your finished atcs are lovely, Jaqi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love the way you used the overspray instead of just trashing it. What a great idea & a great result! It reminds me of fancy marble.

    Your cards are cool (as always LOL). I especially like the tulip one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roni - you are such a whiz. I am sure going to try this technique and will be swapping ATCs with you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!