Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wood Block Deco Art - The Perfect Gift, Card, Home Decor All In ONE!!

Yes, another fun idea to help use up and recycle all of those wood mounts you have left over from unmounting (....you're going to be buying wood mounted stamps just so you can unmount them - LOL!!).

Today's project is not only a cool way to make home decor goodies but it could also be a fun puzzle card for a friend!! Not only is it a versatile little gem BUT you really only need 4 supplies to make the entire thing!!!!


Wood Block Art

Supplies:

Computer Generated Image or Photo (vintage postcard images used for this example but you could use ANYTHING!!)

Wood Mount Blocks

Mod Podge or similar decoupage medium

Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabber

Instructions:

1. Print off desired images. Your image size will depend on the sizes of the wood mount blocks you have to work with. If you've got small, medium and large blocks then about a 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" do nicely. If your blocks are more on the large size you'll definitely want to print your image out a bit larger.


block card002

2. (optional) Mount your image onto a thick cardstock backing...this wouldn't be necessary but I like the extra stability that the cardstock lends to the image.


block card004

3. Here is the fun (and sometimes frustrating part)! Arrange your wood blocks over your image. You may get luck and find an arrangement you like right away but if you're like me you'll mess with it a while before you find something you're satisfied with. Remember, it's o.k. if some pieces stick out here and there. It just adds character to the finished product! (TIP: take a digital photo of your final arrangement to refer back to if needed. Your blocks may get moved, bumped or re-arranged and the photo will ensure proper placement. Trust me, it'll save a few grey hairs later on! LOL!!)


block card005

4. Adhere each block to the back side of the image using decoupage medium. Make sure that all of the blocks are placed as close together as possible for a nice finished image. Set aside to dry.


block card006

5. Once the blocks have dried completely cut them apart. I like to cut once from the back side then finish cutting from the front. You can do whatever works best for you.


block card008

6. Sand the rough edges and paint all exposed edges with acrylic paint. Apply a layer or two of Modge Podge over the front of the blocks and let dry.


Stack your blocks and now you have a free-standing fun piece of block art!!!


block card009

Now, like I said this would make a fun gift for a friend... Since this is a birthday "card" you could adhere a neat note to your friend sending wishes for a wonderful year ahead. Or perhaps place an image they could enjoy year around on the other side. You could make seasonal blocks - have a Halloween/Thanksgiving set; Christmas/New Years maybe a Valentine's/St. Patrick's Day. How about instead of buying those expensive 8 sided wooden blocks you make the grandparents a double sided wood mount block set! Like I said before the possibilities are endless!


I hope you've enjoyed this idea and give it a try yourself!


Monday I will share a project that takes this wooden block art one step further with a fun Halloween goodie!

Check out the neat little gadget I added to the blog today ~ it's under the "subscribe to ink stains" area. Ink Stained Friends! How cool is that! All you have to do is click where it says follow this blog and you'll be added too!!

So, my question of the day is ~
Does Ink Stains have more than 4 followers????
Only YOU can answer that question :)


Anyway....Have a wonderful evening friends ~ we're FINALLY getting some much much needed rain here today (they say that July/August were the driest in 75 years!!!!!!) so I'm going to go out and dance in the rain with my puppies!


Be back tomorrow with some Ink Stained Sketch Cards to share :)

6 comments:

  1. cool project

    if only I could bring myself to unmount any of my stamps.... :)

    I just love the feel of a wood mounted stamp, if anything I am tempted to buy some plain wood blocks and mount some of my favourite unmounteds! :)

    I'm proud to be one of the "original 4" ink stained friends :D

    I found the "follower" thing this morning - it's a new Blogger feature - and set it up to record my favourite blogs. I didn't realise I would appear on your site lol

    Be glad you have 4 - I don't seem to have any :) Billy No Mates, that's me :D

    I'm sure you will have many more very soon - this is a well read blog, and rightly so

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL ~ oh Sarah you are so funny....well, I know alot of people who love their wood and won't um either so you're not alone ;)

    That follower thing just rocks...you're not "Billy No Mates" anymore ;)

    ((((((HUGS))))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh - looooook - I have a follower :D

    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well-I follow you it just wouldn't let me sign up because of some cookie setting on my computer-must be the oreo crumbs I dropped in the keyboard last week-HA, I crack myself up :)

    Love ya Roni!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea Roni, and you make it look so easy. As you say the possibilities are endless, Thanks for a great tutorial, Jaqi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fabulous idea Roni!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!