Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wood Block Faux Fresco

If you recall yesterday I shared how to unmount your wood mounted rubber stamps. Now that you've got all those wood blocks, what do you do with them? Well, I've got really cool technique that will help you put some of those blocks to good use!

Faux Fresco on Wood Mounts!

Fresco is a painting technique where pigments (paint, dye, inks, etc) are applied to wet plaster. As the plaster dries it absorbs the colors and the two become one resulting in an amazing combination of textures and colors.

I call this "Faux" Fresco because a) I'm not using plaster and b) the medium I am using isn't wet when the paint is applied BUT it does yield some awesome results as you will see!!

faux fresco on wood blocks005


Supplies:

Wood Mount Blocks (any left over foam removed)

Gesso (for the base coat & a bit of texture)

Paints - (for this example) - Stewart Gill Byzntia Acanthus, Golden Fluid Acrylics - Iridescent Copper & Iridescent Gold Deep. - Hannah Grey

(not shown)

Brass Embossing Templates

Patching Compound - Dap Vinyl Spackling OR Embossing Paste

Spatula (for spreading the Patch compound)

Blue Painters Tape (optional)

Cut & Dry Foam - Ranger

Instructions:

1. Apply a thick coat of Gesso to your unmounted wood block. For all of the examples I used the side where the stamp was mounted. I painted right over the sticky residue left over where the foam had previously been. Let dry completely. Depending on how thick it was applied and the temps/humidity it may take anywhere from 5-30 minutes.

faux fresco on wood blocks011


2. Once the Gesso has dried, determine where you would like your main image to be.

faux fresco on wood blocks006


3. Using Blue Painters Tape, temporarily adhere the stencil to the block. Stir the spackling paste and apply a generous portion over the entire stencil.

faux fresco on wood blocks007


4. Carefully remove the stencil leaving the spackling paste in tact.

faux fresco on wood blocks008


5. Continue adding additional spackled images if desired. Set the block aside to dry. Approximately 1-2 hours. Immediately clean stencil & spatula in warm soapy water.

faux fresco on wood blocks009


6. Apply a small dab of the Green Stewart Gill metallic paint to a piece of Cut & Dry Foam. Dab the paint over the entire piece. You will need to make sure the paint gets into all of the cracks and crevices. This is where the foam is especially helpful as it makes a tough job easy.

Faux Fresco002


Just look at the texture the metallic paint brings out!

Faux Fresco003


7. While the green paint is still wet, immediately apply a very small amount of the copper paint to your foam. With a light touch apply the copper paint to the raised images and smudge it around a bit on the rest of your creation.

Faux Fresco006


8. Immediately apply the gold paint in the same fashion. Blending all 3 colors as you go.

Faux Fresco007


And here is what your finished product will look like!

Faux Fresco008


Why not make several for a great "Faux Fresco" grouping!

(with the flash)

faux fresco on wood blocks004


(without the flash)

faux fresco on wood blocks001


Fun huh? And oh so easy :) Doesn't get much better than that!

I've got a few more ideas on how to use those left over blocks...so be sure to check back tomorrow!

REMEMBER: Friday is Ink Stained Sketch Friday so I'll share some fun Ribbon bound cards with you :)

Don't forget...only a few more days left to post your vote for your favorite Stamp Store - Retailer/Designer!!

Remember life if short ~ Don't wait ~ tell someone you love how you feel about them...NOW!
The members of About.com - Scrapbooking lost a very sweet, warm and generous soul this past weekend in a tragic auto accident. It was quite unexpected and a shock to everyone. Makes you realize just how precious and fragile life is.

Soooo.....

Love you all my friends!!

Lots & lots of Cyber Hugs to you all!!!

8 comments:

  1. You so rock! You make it all look easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roni you are really creative! I love what you have done with those wooden blocks and I have a bunch that I will experiment on this weekend. Thanks for sharing all of your ideas and for giving us the step-by-step instructions. You are such a dear!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea!! I may have to make up a couple of these to hang in our guest bath...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always unmount my stamps and it's great to have another idea what to do with the wood blocks. I've turned some little ones into jewelry and covered a couple with metal to use with my magnetic letter stamps. But this? This is gorgeous!

    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have learned so many things from your tutorials. You are truly amazing! I've given you a blog award; come pick it up on my blog. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tutorial! Theresa made a fabulous collage with her left over blocks, it'll be a wall hanging when's she's finished with it. I love these recycling ideas. However, I gave mine to Elly. LOL! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wish I still had my wood blocks-- the only ones I still have is a fairy, a outhouse, a flower and a stamp that says "what if the hockey pokey really is what it's all about. Did you see the collage Teresa made ---pretty cool too.
    BTW-- I love you too. The more I learn about Janie's accident the sadder it is

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!