Thursday, February 18, 2010

Beeswax Collage Basics - Pt IV

Today is part IV of our Beeswax Collage tutorial ~ if you're just stopping in here are links to the previous posts...



(Intro to Beeswax, Tools and Basic Paper Collage)


(Adding Naturals & Dimensional Embellishments)


(Blending Excess Wax & Adding Bling w/Beeswax)

Today we're going to be adding texture to the collage, stamping IN the wax and stamping ON the wax so let's begin!
Adding Texture using Beeswax
You can add texture using beeswax and sooooo many different items. I'm going to be using sequins waste material but you could use any type of mesh material, paper doilies, burlap, etc. There are just so many fun things you can either press into hot wax or apply the wax over (like I'm going to share below). Just look around your house to find unique textures ~ I'm sure you'll find loads!
Here you can see our corner...rather plain and the chipboard showing through in several areas. We'll fix that right up!
Instructions:
1. Place the sequins waste material (or other texture material) over the desired area.


beeswax 3 011

2. Paint the beeswax over the mesh. (Beeswax has a very low melt temp so it should be safe for most materials but always test it first.)


beeswax 3 012

3. After the wax has cooled for a few seconds (10-15) gently peel the mesh off the collage. NOTE - no worries if some of the wax lifts off...it's not meant to be perfect.


beeswax 3 013

You'll have a way cool beeswax texture left behind!!


beeswax 3 014

4. (optional) Now if this texture is too harsh for your collage or the look you're going for, you can gently heat it with a craft tool to soften the edges for a more natural look.


beeswax 3 015

And it will look something like this...


beeswax 3 019

Pretty cool huh?

Just think of all the fun textures you could incorporate!

Stamping IN Beeswax

Here we have another unattractive edge that really needs help....


beeswax 3 009

So we're going to take care of it by stamping into beeswax! Now I've heard lots of people say you can't use acrylic stamps for this process. I have successfully used both rubber and acrylic stamps on beeswax. Again, beeswax has such a low melt temperature that it is perfectly safe for both types of stamps.

Instructions:
1. Apply a thick layer of beeswax to the area where you will be stamping. I usually just pick up the wax with my brush and drip it where desired. Some people choose to pour it over the surface but I find it uses more than necessary. Whatever works for you is fine.


beeswax 3 016


2. Let the beeswax cool until it has a nice crust ~ about 15-20 seconds.


beeswax 3 017


3. Firmly press the stamp into the warm beeswax and leave it there. Let the beeswax cool ~ about 40 seconds or so.


beeswax 3 018


4. Gently peel the stamp away from the collage to reveal the stamped image!


beeswax 3 020


5. You will notice in the photo above there are extra little bits of wax where it pooled or got squeezed out by the stamp. While the wax is still a bit warm you can simply use your finger to rub or smooth them away. Remember to add any excess wax back into the meltpot to be reused.


beeswax 3 021


6. If you stamped by an edge you may end up with extra little bits which were squeezed off the side. You'll need to use a sharp tool to carefully scrape the excess away to create nice clean crisp edges.


beeswax 3 024




beeswax 3 025


Here are a couple finished examples of our stamped beeswax....
beeswax 3 027

This example was stamped using a Fancy Pants acrylic swirl stamp.

beeswax 3 026

Tomorrow I'll share a couple ways to enhance these stamped images. I wanted to share how to clean stamps if bits of wax were left in the crevices of your stamps. Of course when I want it to happen I get perfectly clean images. So I'll be sharing how to remove the wax from your stamps and other tools as well.

Stamping ON Beeswax

I love to stamp on beeswax and you can go about it in a few ways. Today I'm going to show you examples of stamping with acrylic paint and Archival Ink. You simply ink up your stamp as you normally would and stamp on the surface. I always save the stamping for one of the last steps because if additional layers of beeswax is added over these images it can distort or destroy these stamped images.

Adirondack Acrylic Dabber - If you don't have a dabber you can use regular acrylic paint ~ simply apply it to the stamp using your fingertip.

beeswax 4 001

beeswax 4 002

beeswax 4 003

You can also stamp using Archival Ink or Staz-On inks ~ it will produce a lighter almost ghostly image. I've never used dye inks but I'm sure it would work...your image may be faint but still add an interesting effect.

beeswax 4 004

beeswax 4 006

So there you go!

Tomorrow as I mentioned I want to share a couple ways to enhance your stamped images, how to clean your stamps after they have been used in beeswax.

Hope you stop back in and check it out!

4 comments:

  1. loving this tech and tut Roni...I did use wax last nite on my tin top...it isnt even sticky! used the Ranger one you showed...cant wait to do a larger project..this tin is too tiny for all that is in my head! ty so much, cher

    ReplyDelete
  2. FAB tutorial, really looking forward to having a go at these techniques
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so doing this. Right now I have to finish an album for my mom's 80th birthday party Sunday. I must say I wish I had given myself more than a week to get it done.lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me start by saying...lovin' the tutorials!!!

    Also love the idea of using the stamps in the wax & with the ink...gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!