Thursday, July 15, 2010

Napkin Art - Off the Beaten Path!

Well today we're going to work on something off the beaten path...

Just look around and grab something that you normally wouldn't think of as "art". That is exactly what we'll be using today!

I just grabbed a couple of items from my "to alter" cabinets to give you an idea of some fun stuff that can be paired with napkin collage that might not immediately come to mind.

Napkin Art - Off the Beaten Path! 001

Today I am using the white headband...when I alter the black one I will first apply a layer of white or light colored acrylic paint. This holds true with any dark colored item as you will need a lighter background for the napkin designs to show up good on your finished project.

Remember to tear out all of the relevant images you will be using from your napkin choice to help things move along smoothly.

Napkin Art - Off the Beaten Path! 002

Begin by applying a layer of glue, add a bit of the napkin, smooth and continue. Since this is such a small area to work with I am just using my fingers today instead of the paintbrush. I think I get a better feel working around the edges with my fingers.

Napkin Art - Off the Beaten Path! 004

Speaking of the edges, I wanted to be sure and show you how I handle them... I like to roll the napkin over the edge towards the under side of the headband. Just let the excess napkin hang there ~ don't try to smooth it down over the teeth. After our project has dried we will take care of the excess.

Napkin Art - Off the Beaten Path! 006

Now after the entire headband has been covered, let it dry completely! Don't rush it...if you're battling the humidity like we are here it could take several hours to dry.

Napkin Art - Off the Beaten Path! 008

Once the headband has dried, remove the excess napkin by lightly sanding around the edge. You don't have to use much pressure as it should come off quite easily.

napkin collage head band 001

And you're set to go!!

napkin collage head band 009

Dry time aside, this is a very quick and easy technique and these headbands are so fun to alter. I bought a multi pack at the Dollar Store so you could easily make a different headband for every day of the week!

It also makes a great teen craft since they have wearable art of their own creation.

You could further spruce them up by adding flowers, faux gemstones, pearls, etc. The sky is the limit!

6 comments:

  1. Very cute! I thought you were going to alter the flashlight! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling! I, too, thought you were going to do something with the flashlight!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! This would make a great craft for a sleepover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roni -

    This really came out cute. I think this would be something my great- nieces could do with me when they come to visit.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not just for teens...I am soooo making myself some of these! Another great idea Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this! Going to use this for my mommy/daughter date night I'm hosting! Will post our girl's creations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!