Tuesday, December 21, 2010

25 Days of Hand Crafted Gifts and Ornaments *Special Request* Elderly Relative Gift Idea

Hi Everyone!

I rec'd an e-mail this morning that I didn't get until I got home from shopping this afternoon that read as follows:

"Dear Roni,


I wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed your 25 days of gift and ornament ideas. I have been following along each day and have used several of the ideas you posted.

That being said I hope you don’t mind my asking but I have an elderly aunt that lives in a nursing home. She is a very spry 92 but doesn't get around as well as she used to.  I would dearly love to make something she would enjoy for Christmas but I just can’t come up with anything other than the usual food or clothing. Neither of which she really needs.

Do you happen to have any ideas for something I can make for her?

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Ashley"

Always up for a challenge I set aside the gift idea I had planned for today and did a little brain storming to come up with gift ideas for elderly relatives. 

Here is what I came up with ~
(sorry...I didn't have time to actually make any of them so hopefully the ideas will help anyway!)

Memory Jar ~

Take a glass (or plastic jar) and fill it with memories.  You could do this yourself but it would be great if you could get other family members and friends to help.  Simply write down a favorite memory or story you have concerning this special person.  It could be a tale about a Christmas past, a silly joke they liked to tell, a childhood memory or other fond memory you have of this special person.

Personalized Book Mark & Basket of Large Print Books ~

Many older folks enjoy reading but find it difficult because of the size of the text in regular books.  Fill a basket with a few large print books, add a reading light, page magnifier (these are a nifty little gadget that is about 4x6 flat sheet of magnifying material ~ usually a plastic ~ that allows the reader to highlight and magnify 2-3 paragraphs at one time.) and stamp a personalized book marker.

Over sized Calendar ~

Stamp an over sized calendar for an elderly relative. Make the calendar from 12x12 sheets of cardstock and use large numbers for each date so it is easy to read.  When it's put together it will be 12x24 so you can leave lots of room for writing notes and occasions.   If you'd like you could have everyone in your family add special dates.

Stamped Card Portfolio ~

Create a selection of cards for various occasions, add envelopes, labels and stamps.  Tuck it all in a portfolio to keep it nice and neat. 

Bulletin Board ~ 

Personalize a bulletin board for your relative.  Create a special border of photos or stamped images around the outer edge.  Add a space to attach a note pad and attach a pencil or pen on a string (so it doesn't get lost). 

Tic Tac Toe Tin Game ~

Jackie thought this game tin would also be a good idea for elderly folks. (link in the title)

Well, that's what I came up off the top of my head...I'll continue to add more ideas as I think of them.

If you have any other ideas to share with Ashley or others looking to make goodies for an elderly relative please feel free to add it in the comments section! 

14 comments:

  1. My great aunt appreciated having a selection of hand made cards - birthday, sympathy, thinking of you, graduation - to use. I actually gave her labels and correct postage to use on them, too. That made it really easy for her to send her friends and family cards.
    Zanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog-what a wonderful site. I have a few ideas for the elderly for gifts. My Aunt always loves to get a portfolio of premade cards, complete with envelopes and stamps. I also stamp out a dozen or more sayings on sticker paper I've decorated to coordinate with the cards. Sayings such as Thinking of you, Happy Birthday, Just a Note, Thank you, etc. That way she can use them for any occasion or not put in a greeting and just write inside. She also loves to chrochet covers for wooden hangers and with a very limited budget she can't always afford the supplies. I fill a large basket with wooden hangers and lots of different yarns. Find out what their hobby or very favorite activity is and customize a gift basket with supplies and magazines that reflect that interest. Thank you for sharing your creativity with the world.
    jackie in Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Roni, that memory jar thing really got to me. What a really, really sweet idea! I'm already deciding what the jar will be!! I have the perfect old canning jar that has the working bale! How perfect your idea is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for the ideas! I love love love the memories jar ~ I am so making one for her and I think I'll make one for my mom and dad as well.

    Thanks for the idea and all you share with us!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas Roni and your comment friends had some added ideas. As I have have a very dear used to be mother-in-law, you have given me such motivation to make a special visit with a baskets of useful goodies. Thanks so much for such a wonderful blog. Great ideas seem to flow from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roni -

    These are some fabulous ideas. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Lovely ideas! Thanks so much for sharing them. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it heart-warming when you can share your ideas and have such wonderful responses? I enjoy every time I come to visit (which is almost every day). Thank you for your willingness to share and thank you for helping inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The memory jar is the PERFECT gift for my grandmother! She is 94 and now in a nursing home and will absolutely treasure this. Our extended family will be coming to my home for Christmas and I am going to collect everyone's memories for the jar to present to my grandmother that evening. What a special treat it will be for the entire family to reminisce about all the fond memories we have of times with Grandma. Thank you so much for such a wonderful idea! Have a very blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had a few more ideas. If your elderly relitive is nearby and able to get around, give a coupon book of activities you can do together such as a trip to the beauty parlor and a lunch, or a movie - even if you have to rent a wheelchair for the day. The gift of time spent with you, no matter what the activity, will be highly appreciated. If they are home-bound round up a friend or two of theirs and host a tea or luncheon in your relative's own home -you do all the cooking, serving, clean up and be the taxi driver for the event.
    If you aren't within commuting distance, call and arrange for a special day of services for them. Some places I've lived have had volunteers who would bring a portable hair washing station and/or do manicures in-home. As I get older I've been unable to get out as much as I would like. My daughter organized a tea for me and part of the experience was to sit and craft invitations and decorations with her. I enjoyed the gift of her time, and of my friend's more than any material gift. Call often and really listen to what they say. Getting old can be a lonely and scary time for some. If they love animals but can't have a pet, get a service animal volunteer to visit. Sometimes people get so busy they forget how much a hug or an actual visit or phone call can brighten the life of an elderly loved one.
    Well-I guess I should get off my soap box and just say Happy Holidays to all. Remember to not only remember your elderly loved ones at Christmas, but through out the whole year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all your ideas Roni! I have given a packet of notecards and/or birthday cards, along with postage stamps, to my elderly aunt and to my mother-in-law when she was still alive and they really appreciated it. Having everything there, including the stamps made it so easy to use. I also did that for my Mom last year as she was unable to get out to the store to buy greeting cards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to do the memory jar. My mom was such an active person in her church and in life. She was a china Artist and did beautiful china. I have many tea cups and sets. She had a stroke during her third open heart surgery 7 years ago and has been in a nursing home since. I can't get the jar done in time for Christmas but her 81st birthday is in Feb. so I think I will ask her friends and church ladies and family to help with the stories. Thank you for helping get something for someone that gifts are not needed but that Love is.
    Merry Christmas Roni
    Diane
    keyser4diane@yahoo.com
    dkeyser.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to do the memory jar. My mom was such an active person in her church and in life. She was a china Artist and did beautiful china. I have many tea cups and sets. She had a stroke during her third open heart surgery 7 years ago and has been in a nursing home since. I can't get the jar done in time for Christmas but her 81st birthday is in Feb. so I think I will ask her friends and church ladies and family to help with the stories. Thank you for helping get something for someone that gifts are not needed but that Love is.
    Merry Christmas Roni
    Diane
    keyser4diane@yahoo.com
    dkeyser.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I k ow I am late with this but Mom was in extended care for 10 years and she was always pulling her pictures off of her bulletin board so I made her memory boards she she just slipped all her pictures under the ribbons.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!