Friday, August 5, 2011

August Mystery Technique - Aboriginal Sand Art

Oh it was so much fun to see where you thought I might be going with this technique.  Most of you guessed correctly that the medium I used was Ranger's Enamel Accents but one person guessed exactly what I did with it and that person was Neil....

Neil said...

Hi, I'll go with the enamels too. At first I thought you just dripped as the centre ones are so smooth but then the outer ones are rougher so I think that either the back end of a pen or brush was used. I would guess that starting with the centre you start doing dots in concentric circles and in the end you have a page full of a lovely aboriginal style design!
August 4, 2011 6:08 PM

Congrats Neil!!!
  (I will add your Enamel Accents to your charm envie.)

I was very inspired by a photograph I saw recently of an old Aboriginal Sand Art Painting and decided to check it out a bit more.  I found a site that talked about this ancient art form - Dreamtimes Aboriginal Art.    Traditionally it's made from organic materials found in a give area but now many of these artists work with acrylic paints as well.

After reading a bit more about it and seeing additional examples I knew I wanted to try my hand at it.  I made up my own little story about life's paths and how each path we choose can lead us down a different road but in the end all of our choices are connected.  Yeah, I know a bit sappy...

anyway, here is what I created....
Ranger - Summer CHA 11 032

The first thing I did was to draw my desired pattern onto a piece of cardstock.  For the example I used white cardstock just to show what my initial design started out as.

 
Aboriginal Dot Painting 002

I then began adding large and small dots with both the black and white Enamel Accents.
To vary the size of the dots I applied more or less pressure to the bottle.  I also varied the space between the dots depending on which layer I was on to add more interest.

As far as the design goes this is where the real fun begins. There is no right or wrong, you simply make dots...big ones, small ones, fat dots, flat dots, whatever works!  While this does take a bit of time I found it to be very relaxing.  You will need to let your design dry for a few hours.  Remember it will be dry to the touch but it will take a bit longer for the accents to cure.   The large dot everyone thought was a brad was actually a dot that hadn't cured completely when I placed another card on top....it ended up transferring the texture from the paper to the dot.

Ranger - Summer CHA 11 034

Ranger - Summer CHA 11 033

So now it's your turn....
feel like creating your own bit of Sand Art?
Monday I will share a variation on this technique that I created using rubber stamps.

11 comments:

  1. Grat card and idea! Love your blog for all the ideas & inspiration. TFS ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! So I WAS right, Yay, I'm looking forward to receiving this added bonus with my charms! Thank you so much! Love the card and the story behind it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card and I couldn't help but feature it on papermood.com ; I hope that's ok ! hugz X Fab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great technique! Congrats, Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roni -

    A very striking card and neat technique. I can see that this would be very "zen" to do.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG this is AMAZING!!! I had never heard of it but I can see why you are so taken with it. It's beautiful, breathtaking and extra-ordinary!! Can't wait for the next installment.
    LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! It's like I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great look! Bet it's fun to make too... I'll give it a try soon. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go Neil~congratulations! Beautiful card Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I have been following your blog for a while now and love your ideas! Come and follow me at my blog
    http://gettinghookedoncrafts.blogspot.com/

    I hand carve rubber stamps!! Right now I am doing a give a way of 3 of my stamps... be sure to stop by and see how to enter :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!