Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Technique Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars Technique

If you don't know by now I love glitter...glitter glue, glass glitter, micro glitter, mica glitter...it's all good.  Well today's technique pairs my love of glitter with a technique I've been wanting to simplify for a while now...Floor Wax Technique and is a play on my Faux Floor Wax Technique.  I call this technique "Floating Stars".

2012 Technique Calendar
February
Floating Stars Technique

Supplies:

Acetate (recycled packaging works great!)
Glitter (in one form or another)
Glossy Accents
Re-Inker (your choice of color/type)
Embellishments to finish off your page

Instructions:

1. Start off by squirting a generous portion of Glossy Accents onto your acetate.  I am using part of a package from a Spellbinders set of dies that has handy edges like a little tray so I don't have to worry about the GA running off the edges :)

2012 Tech Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars 001

2. Sprinkle on one or more colors of glitter.  This is going to be spread out over a large enough area to cover your calendar so don't be afraid to be generous.   I am using a cool large flake type glitter from MS.  You of course can use any type of glitter you have on hand.  When it comes to glitter...it's all good ;)

2012 Tech Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars 002

3. Now add a couple drops of re-inker to the GA and gently stir....  I'm using my favorite tool....my finger because I like to get messy but you can use a Popsicle stick, paint brush handle or anything else you might have on hand.

2012 Tech Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars 003

I did add a few swirls with my paper piercer ...

2012 Tech Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars 004

And here is what it looks like at this point....  This is where this technique deviates from the Floor Wax/Faux Floor Wax Techniques.  At this point we're done...no adding tissue paper, more GA/Floor Wax, no more inks... nothing.  You simply need to let the mix dry overnight. 
2012 Tech Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars 005

Fast forward to the next a.m.... It's time to finish off your calendar page as desired.  I glue my "Floating Stars" creation to my house GA side down so I have a nice even surface to work with. 

2012 Tech Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars 006

And here is how it turned out....

I left the majority of the "Floating Stars" unadorned because I think it really is the star of the page.  I didn't want to detract from it with lots of extra "stuff".    I'm sorry that you can't see how the glitter looks like it is floating beneath the acetate...it has such a dimensional look that you just can't capture with a photo.
2012 Tech Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars 007

And here are a few more views....

2012 Tech Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars 009


2012 Tech Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars 010


2012 Tech Calendar - Feb - Floating Stars 011

Since I layered this over some vintage sheet music I left the actual acetate plain but you could of course stamp on the acetate to add another dimension to your piece. 

This technique would be perfect for so many applications...think snow, fireworks, autumn leaves, etc.  I'm so excited about this technique, my mind is just spinning thinking of all the possibilities!

I hope it inspires you as well!

10 comments:

  1. Roni this is soo cool. I got most of my January calendar done this morning and then came here to see February, Wow this is incredible. I don't have any re inkers only a brown. could I add something else to the mix? I have loads of glitter etc. This looks fun.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roni -

    What a neat idea! And I really love the results.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH YES!!! That is so cool! I just got a brand spanking new bottle of GA too! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is AWESOME!!! I went right down to my studio to make it... well to do the GA and glitter so it could dry... and I didnt have ANY red re-inkers of any kind. I had red alcohol ink... wondering if that would work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks looks some some fun~ and I have a red project that needs it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just can't tell you how I love these techniques and your great, clear instructions! Floating Stars is wonderful. I'm not making the calendar but there are a zillion ways I'm thinking to use what I'm learning from you. I've had your book for years and love it. Never thought there was such a wealth of learning from a single blog! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can't tell you how I love these techniques and your great, clear instructions! Floating Stars is wonderful. I'm not making the calendar but there are a zillion ways I'm thinking to use what I'm learning from you. I've had your book for years and love it. Never thought there was such a wealth of learning from a single blog! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! I don't know how you do it - come up with new things! I've been stamping for years now and still there are new things to learn. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. roni you are am-az-innnn!!!..this is awesome and wow endless possibilities..some swimming around in my head right now..ty so much for sharing this tech. loves ya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yah...I'm lovin' this one!! This would make some seriously beautiful Christmas decorations! Using different colors & paper behind it could indeed make some interesting art! Thanks Roni for another great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!