Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Vintage Valentine's Day Tin

I hope you're all have a wonderful week...it's finally nice here (minus the wind)...no rain, no snow  and we even had a bit of sunshine this a.m....

Today I thought it would be fun to alter an altoids tin... I tell you I love those things!  Anyway, I haven't messed with one for a while so I thought it would be a nice change of pace.

You're going to need your tin...

Valentine Tin 001

Which I sanded....

Valentine Tin 002

Next I cut out a few pieces of pattern paper for the front, sides and two pieces for inside....

Valentine Tin 004

then I painted the tin with a coat of gesso (white acrylic paint will work too).

Valentine Tin 006

Now it's time to glue the pattern paper pieces on to the tin...

Valentine Tin 007

and sand the edges...

Valentine Tin 008

Next I applied several colors of alcohol ink to the bottom of the tin - Latte, hazelnut & shell pink - I just smeared them around with my finger. After the AI dried I sanded the bottom to distress it a bit.

Valentine Tin 013

After that I decorated the inside and out! I left the inside of the lid blank...it's a nice place for a special message for your sweetie!

Valentine Tin 010

((mmmmm don't ya just love that vintage looking tinsel!))
Valentine Tin 011

And there you have it!
A super fun gift that can be made in an afternoon
(including dry times for the various mediums).


6 comments:

  1. love it!!!!!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Roni,

    Woo hoo! I KNEW I was saving all my Altoid tins for a reason!! Thanks for the tutorial.

    Have you done anything with the min-tins? I have some of those too.

    XO
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Roni, thanks for sharing ,it's gorgeous!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial Roni. I love how the tin turned out.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh love it Roni. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Want to also thank you for coming by and commenting. I love my calendar, YOU made it happen.
    Lesley ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Roni!!! Oh, and yes I love your vintage trim!! where did you get it? Have a super rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!