Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Vintage Victorian Specimen Collection - Part II

Now that the images have had a chance to dry over night it's time to get going!
While the images are pretty cool looking at this point they are still flat and lifeless so it's time to breath some life into them!

AP - Victorian Specimen Plaque 06

Instructions:

1.  Cut apart and trim each image pretty close to the edges.

  AP - Victorian Specimen Plaque 07

2. Next step is to add a "shadow" to each of the eggs.  I pick a side and ink up the same side on all of my images.  Inking all of the images on the same side helps create the illusion of the image being 3D and doesn't mix up the eye when looking at the finished collage.

AP - Victorian Specimen Plaque 08

3. After you have inked all of the images it's time to start adding some dimension.  For this step I am using a Brush Stix but you could also use a dry embossing tool, end of a pen (capped end) or other instruments you might use to dry emboss. 

To begin, flip the egg face down onto a piece of dense foam (like a mouse pad or similar).  Start out by outlining the entire image with your embossing tool about 1/8 - 1/16" from the edge.  This adds definition to the piece and gives you a specific area in which to work.   For the egg that's pretty easy I want the entire egg to pop and they are all ovals.  Next week (when I get to the butterfly collage) I will share how to emboss odd shaped images.

Next, place the tip of your tool at the center of the image, make larger and larger circles until you have reached the original outline.  Your image should now have a nice dimensional look to it. 

AP - Victorian Specimen Plaque 09

As you can see here the eggs really pop now!

AP - Victorian Specimen Plaque 10

Continue embossing each of your eggs until they all have definition.

AP - Victorian Specimen Plaque 11

You can set your images aside for now while we prepare to work on the foundation.  I like to use pages from old books for many of my collages.  I just love the look the text and creamy yellow color the pages give to the finished project. 

When I thin down a book to use for Altered Book projects I always keep the pages I remove just for this type of project....you know me...no waste ;)

So, you will need to cut several pages down to 1x2 - 2x3 and anywhere in between.  Sometimes I like to just sit and trim pages so I have a pile of them ready to go at any time. 

AP - Victorian Specimen Plaque 11a

And once you have all of your pages cut you'll be ready to move on to part #III tomorrow!

AP - Victorian Specimen Plaque 11b

See you then!

3 comments:

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!