Friday, September 21, 2012

Halloween Altered File Folder Portfolio

I have had some fun mini file folders sitting around here that dh found in a file cabinet he bought at an auction a couple years ago.  They have been in my stash since then just waiting for me to alter one, two or more ;)  You can tell from the photo below that they are about 2/3rds the size of a regular file folder and by chance they are perfectly sized for a #6 (2 5/8"x 5 1/4") or #7 (2 7/8" x 5 3/4") shipping tag!!   You of course could use a regular sized file folder but since I have these little buggers I'm going to use them.

Halloween Altered File Folder 001


Halloween Altered File Folder Portfolio
Part One

Supplies (for today):

File Folder (large or mini)
Archival Ink
Rubber Stamps (Third Coast Rubber Stamps)
Distress Stains (or Dye Mists or your favorite coloring medium)
Ink Blending Tool (optional)

Instructions:

1. Open the file folder up and place it on your work surface. 

2. Using Archival Ink, stamp both the front and back sides of the file folder.

Halloween Altered File Folder 002
 
3. Using your favorite dye inks or mists color both sides of the folder.  I am using Distress Stains. 

Halloween Altered File Folder 003 Halloween Altered File Folder 005

4. After the inks have dried, it's time to start folding.  First fold the bottom 1/3 of the file fold up as shown. 

Halloween Altered File Folder 006 Halloween Altered File Folder 007

I find that it's always good to use a bone folder for crisp, clean edges.  Not mandatory but just helpful when you're working with bulky materials and multiple folds.

Halloween Altered File Folder 008


5. Next close the file folder at it's natural crease so the pockets are on the outside of the folder.

Halloween Altered File Folder 009
6.  Fold one of the flaps towards the center so the pockets are on the inside of the portfolio.

Halloween Altered File Folder 010 Halloween Altered File Folder 011
7.  Flip it over and fold the second flap towards the center again so the pockets are on the inside.  Now you've got a nifty little portfolio!

Halloween Altered File Folder 012
 
8.  (optional) It's not necessary but I like to ink up the edges just to give the folder some definition. 

Halloween Altered File Folder 013

Now that we've got our basic portfolio built we can alter in in so many ways.  I'll be back on Monday to show you a few things I'm going to do to mine and we'll also begin on fun tags to tuck inside!

See you then!!


OH - Just a note before I go...this is a really fun technique that can be used not only for Halloween but for all sorts of holidays, events, and occasions.  Can you imagine what a fun birthday idea this would be or you could host a scavenger hunt with a "treasure map" portfolio, etc.  The ideas just go on and on.   I'm going to try to make another of these in the future cause they are just too much fun not to make over and over again!


7 comments:

  1. Love this Roni! Really a great idea and as you said, it can be changed up for so many different events.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun portfolio; the bright colors really pop! And I can see from the photo that your heating tool has been well loved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!! Can't wait to see more on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I'm going to try this. It's agreat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What an awesome project so far! I love the look of the stamped images with all that glorious ink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! I got a lot of old folders like that and I can't imagine they can turn out like this. Thanks for giving me an idea. I love it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!