Thursday, February 28, 2013

Password Book - Pt I

This is a project I've been wanting to make for quite a while, it just never seemed like I had time so I decided to make time. 

I don't know about you but I have all of my passwords for various web-sites, forums, groups and stores written down on a piece of paper and it just keeps getting more and more cluttered.  It started out neatly folded and while the writing was small I could still read it.  Well, I've continued to add more and more passwords written in the margins, along the edge, squeezed in here and there until I just can't keep it straight anymore.

I know some people like to keep a file on their computer but with hackers smarter (and more evil) than ever I never keep my password list anywhere on my computer so I came up with this book idea.

After MUCH trial and error to get the margins correct (the proof is in my garbage can) I have created 2 different PDF files for you to use to make your very own Password Book. 


Password Book 1 001

Small Password Book

The first file is for a small password book that will be finished size - 3.25" x 6" - This is the book I'm going to be making.  The reason it is so small is because I wanted it to be made with a book ring binding, one web-site/password per page.  This way all of my sites can be alphabetized (a bit of my CDO showing) and if needed I can add or remove sites/passwords easily.

 

Cutting Instructions:

1. Print out as many pages as desired using the PDF file.  (Note: these pages should be printed full size for the cutting instructions to work.)  I printed mine on cardstock but you can use regular printer paper if desired.

Password Book 1 002

2.  Trim off 1/8" from the landscape top and landscape bottom of each page.  Your page will now measure 8.25" x 11".

Password Book 1 003

3.  Now cut the page in half at the 5.5" mark (basically you're cutting the two columns apart).  Your pages will now measure 5.5" x 8.25".

Password Book 1 004

4.  Cut each password page 2.75" - each page will measure 2.75 x 5.5".  A regular 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper will yield 6 individual pages.

Password Book 1 005

5.  If desired you can cut alphabetical dividers - 3" x 5.75".  One 12x12 sheet of cardstock will make 8 dividers.

6.  Cut the covers 3.25" x 6" from chipboard. 

Password Book 1 006


Large Password Book

This password book creates a "normal" book that measures 9x6" when finished.  This book is much more user friendly when it comes to cutting but the individual website/passwords won't be removable.  You'll have to remove the entire sheet if desired.  



Cutting Instructions:

1. Print out as many sheets as desired.

2.  Cut each sheet in half at the 5.5" mark basically cutting each sheet in half.  The pages will measure 5.5" x 8.5" with 4 entries per page.

3.  If desired, cut alphabetical dividers measuring 8.75" x 5.75".

4.  Finally cut the covers 6x9" from chipboard.

That's where we'll stop for today.
My actual cover paper is drying as I type.
I'll share the final steps tomorrow.

1 comment:

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!