Thursday, May 16, 2013

Goosebumps Resist Covered Book

Yesterday I shared the fun and easy technique for using Goosebumps to create a beautiful resist paper. 

Today's project incorporates that resist design as a cover for a hand-made book!

This is the resist paper I am going to use.  I know lots of people were wondering what the heck I was doing using such a dark brown ink to cover such a pretty design.  I've got my reasons ;)  You'll see in the end how it all works.

8212

NOTE: I will be using a section sewn exposed stitch to bind my book... there are MANY different ways to bind a book and this is just one of the many.  For additional ways to bind handmade books just type bookbinding into a search engine.  You'll be amazed at how many ways people have dreamt up to make a book.

The first thing we need to do is to cut a few pieces of chipboard for the front, spine and back covers.  Since this paper is about 8.3x11.7" (Prima's A4 pattern paper pad size) I'm going to make my book 5x7.

Book 001


Use your favorite double stick adhesive to affix each piece of chipboard to the paper.  Cut notches at the corners and at the spine as shown.  This makes for much nicer folds.

Book 002


Apply glue to each of the flaps and fold over so it's securely attached to the inside of the book covers.


Book 003

If you want your book to have some sort of closure you will need to add it at this time.  Sometimes I like to cut a length of ribbon and glue it down to the book covers or you could just use a strap at the back which folds around to hook at the front with any number of various hardware bits.  Another option would be to use a string closure which is simply a length of string wrapped around a brad or post on the front of the cover. 

I didn't want a closure for this book because I don't want anything to interfere with the front cover.

To finish off the inside I normally like to apply a piece of book binding tape over the spine to strengthen and reinforce that area because it will get lots of wear and tear from repeated openings.  BUT, I have something else I'm going to use in it's place so I went ahead and covered the inside book covers with pink cardstock.

Now I found this REALLY cool looking duct tape in a pink paisley design which I'm going to use in place of the book binding tape.  Since it's so pretty it doesn't need to be hidden under the cardstock which is why I am adding it at this point.

Book 004

Book 005

You can set the book cover aside for now.

It's time to make the signatures (inside page bundles) for the book.  Again, to compliment the cover art I am using an assortment of cream/tan cardstock pages in various weights and finishes.  I like to mix it up like this to add interest to the book.

You need to cut each sheet to size then fold each page in half.  My pages started off 6.75 x 11.  I left the length a bit longer so I could even up the pages once they have been assembled into each signature.

Once the pages have all been folded in half, gather 4-10 pages and collate them so they all fit inside each other and the edges all line up.   I am using 6 sheets for each section.

NOTE: Some people like to fold all 4-10 sheets together at one time....I personally don't like to do it this way because the center pages are never creased or lay quite as nice as they do when you fold them individually. 

To finish off each signature I made sure all of the pages were lined up and then cut the width down to size to perfectly fit my cover.

O.k... now you have a "signature" (a stack of folded pages) which is almost ready to be added to your book.    Repeat this process multiple times depending on how many pages you want in your book.  I made 3 signatures with 6 sheets of cardstock in each.

Putting the Book Together -

I am going to be binding my book using a "Section Sewn" which is the string down the center of each signature.  To do this you need to poke 2 holes in each signature.  I did so 1.5" from the top and bottom of each signature as shown.

Book 007

Next I place one signature in the book cover and line it up where I would like them to lay in the book once finished.  I drew a line to help determine where I needed to make holes in the spine to enable me to stitch each signature in the book.

Book 008


Since I have 3 signatures I need to poke three holes in the spine which will align with each signature.

Book 010

To sew each signature in the book I took a length of cotton cord (or wax linen) and began by threading it through the signature and the spine, came up along the outside and in the top hole of the spine and signature....

Book 011

Book 013

NOTE: I like to leave a long tail when I begin so I can finish off the binding with fancy stitches, beads, charms or whatever else I'd like to add.

Book 014

Stitch in the other two signatures and tie off the cord in a knot.    Remember that long length of cord I left at the beginning?  Well I looped it back through the outside stitches and created this fun twisty look to the spine.   I threaded the excess cord through one of the holes back to the inside of the cover, knotted and cut off the excess.

Book 015

And here's my bound book....  The doily resist design wraps around the entire book giving it such a pretty design.  Now you could finish this book off with any number of cool embellishments...photos; frames; text; flowers; label holders; etc. 

Book 016

Book 017
And here are the inside pages all assembled and ready to alter or journal or fill with memorabilia.
Book 018
Such a fun way to create a great gift for anyone or to make and keep for yourself!

5 comments:

  1. I loveit...You make it look so easy I'll have a go at it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tip to notch the coverstock at the spine! The cover will fold so much nicer, don't know why I didn't think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover with the resist technique looks fantastic! Hmm, wonder what crafty goodness I can get into this weekend. I think will have to involve making a book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a great tutorial, Roni! I love the way your book turned out!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!