Monday, November 13, 2017

CarveDecember 2017

Have you ever heard of CarveDecember?  I hadn't either until Marcie from Imagine brought it to my attention.   The idea is to carve a stamp each day in December - at the end of the month you'd end up with 31 brand new one of a kind stamps!  

Luckily carving each day isn't mandatory to participate...you just carve when you can.  Apparently most carvers post their creations on Instagram with #carvedecember.  



Several years ago a friend gave me a carving knife and some Speedball carving medium (looks like a giant eraser) and I did carve a few stamps of my own at the time. I thought it would be fun to give it another go.  I ordered a few different types of carving medium and an all in one carving tool which has 4-5 different blades.  They arrived today and I did give it a trial scrape across one of the blocks. I'm excited now!

Next dilemma, I don't know what I'm going to carve...it actually has me stumped. The thought of coming up with so many ideas for stamps...my mind is frozen and I don't know what to make.  I may need help with suggestions so if you can think of something fun - imagine or sentiment to carve please feel free to share it.

Are you going to join in the fun?  You don't have to use the pink stuff.  You can carve all sorts of things - erasers, you can carve the back of a produce/meat tray (these make great faux wood cut stamps); Fun Foam, etc. I may try to use a few different mediums to create different effects.  

3 comments:

  1. I, too, have tried my hand at stamp carving!! I will challenge myself to make the hand-carved stamp I've been planning for a friend's Christ as gift!! This is my in!! Thanks Roni! 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to carve stamps decades ago. Some were on special erasers and some were on the eraser end of new pencils. I love simple designs like pet paws, hearts, houses, sun, moon, holly leaves annd berries are just some of the ones I have carved. Have fun with this dear...<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the speedball and tools but I really don’t know how to crave a stamp. Do you have a simple video?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!